Parents must coordinate student absences with Tim Tierney, O. Henry’s Attendance Specialist. Mr. Tierney can be reached at 512-414-7110 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
District policy requires that within forty-eight (48) hours of returning to school your student must provide a note from his or her parent explaining their absence. The note can be emailed to email@example.com, faxed to 512-477-7428, or brought to the office, and must include:
- Student’s first and last name
- Student’s grade level
- Date(s) of the absence
- Reason for the absence
- Parent/guardian’s signature and telephone number.
- If a student misses more than 25 minutes of class, it will be counted as an absence.
- Excessive absences (10 or more in 6 months or 18 during the school year) may be made up at Saturday detention.
- It is the student’s responsibility to schedule and attend Saturday detention. Failure to do so may result in credit denial for the school year.
- Tardies accumulate for all classes. Excessive tardies will result in disciplinary action.
- Letters will be mailed periodically to parents to notify them of excessive absences.
- If possible, BEFORE the school day begins, please send a note requesting permission for your student to leave at a specific time.
- If this is not possible, please stop at the Attendance Counter in the main office to request that your student be released from class.
- In either case, your student will be sent to the main office to meet you. You will be required to sign her/him out.